Sunday, October 21, 2007

Future of Museums

I think the articles both have very valid points about the future of art museums, and the expansion of art museums. I think museums are going to change a great deal throughout the 20th century. Because we have so many new forms of technology that are rapidly being considered art, galleries and museums will have to accomodate for these new forms. Should we have a whole new category in photographic art that pertains solely to photo manipulation in photoshop? Because it seems as though this has become an entire artform of it's own. Will there be art galleries that show only films in the future? I think that expansion for traditional art galleries and museums, ones that contain classical painting and sculpture, and even some modern works, should stay at the size they are now. I think it would be a better idea to create new gallery spaces for new forms of art. I also don't think expansion is a good idea because I think it would take away from the experience. It may make it so there are crowds, which isn't really desirable either, but I think if a museum or gallery is too large, people will not want to walk through the entire building.

No comments: